Music Licensing

GW has agreements with Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI); the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP); the Society of European Songwriters, Artists and Composers (SESAC) and Global Music Rights (GMR).

These agreements allow university faculty, students groups and staff to play or perform music at university events and functions at no cost to you. Please check the music catalogs with these companies before playing music at your events:

Posting Music on the Web or Social Media:

GW’s music licenses do not cover music posted by its community members on the web or social media. There are several different licenses required if you want to post music on a website or social media. These licenses must be obtained from the person or entity that owns the right to that music; the process can be long and complex.

Stock Music is available at a low cost (sometimes free) as an option when music is needed for a web or social media posting.

For questions about music licensing, please email [email protected].